Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How I am a Semi-Green Girl by: Rita

I was born to live as naturally and eco-friendly as can be. It was a desire inside of me when i was a little girl. I loved the outdoors, I loved nature and I was all about 'saving the rainforest'. My grand-parents and parents have always been very conservative in their use of things... although mostly for the sake of being frugal, it has been an encouragement. Things in my house always got reused. I thought ALL house-holds reused plastic bags... I never saw a plastic bag being tossed without it having a second usage first.

As a teenager I was an inactive "green" girl. Lazy, and effected in the wrong way by the disgusting non-conserving ways of my time. In 11th grade my science teacher brought that desire back to surface. The science class was called "Environmental and Natural Resources". I loved that class and all i learned. All the documentaries, projects, and field trips got that earth-loving desire to become active.

In recents years, though, I am a green girl in many new and active ways. Natural beauty products have become a must in my life. Natural shampoos have changed my hair, jojoba oil and tea tree oil has changed my skin. Conventional medicine is a last resort. I don't eat meat, and have VERY minimal dairy products. I recycle like crazy and love co-ops!

I love thinking of new ways to minimize the impact on the environment. The beautiful things on this earth is a gift, and I want to take care of them!


The Good:
  • I try my best to do the 3 R's...............REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE.
  • I teach these ways to the 3 children I am a nanny for.
  • No Meat
  • Natural Products
  • I compost
  • Opts for organic whenever possible
The Bad and Ugly:
  • When I am really thirsty and don't have my reusable water bottle, I BUY BOTTLED WATER!!!
  • I love 'to-go' coffee.... the convenience, the flavor! But oh! the amount of cups i toss!
  • Even though I'm a vegetarian, I buy leather shoes..... oh! the hypocrisy!!!
  • I travel far distances to have fun.... Oh! the gas I waste!
  • I often leave lights on in empty rooms........ I DONT DO IT ON PURPOSE! I PROMISE!!

I am Rita, a GIRL trying to live a SEMI-GREEN life.


No comments: