Friday, September 25, 2009

I am a killer. And a food waster.

Whew, it feels good to have that off my chest. Now for the sordid details...

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I am standing in my kitchen drinking my coffee before the little one wakes up. Bix (the hubs) was packing his lunch and getting ready to head out the door for school. I notice coffee drips on the counter and so I wipe them up and decide to give the coffeemaker a quick wipe down....for an appliance that gets used so heavily, I have no idea how it gets dusty so quickly. I move the coffeemaker and grab the rag to wipe the counter and it is then that I notice little white worms on the counter. Now, I need to say at this point, before you think I am a disgusto who doesn't clean my kitchen and just lets bugs gather to feed off of the crumbs that I let sit around, I am a clean freak. I seriously am. I am always disinfecting, dusting, vacuuming, picking up, etc., so to find a pile of squirmy worms on my kitchen counter behind my coffeemaker was almost more than I could handle that early in the morning. Actually, I probably wouldn't have handled it well later in the day either....

"Bix, handle the worms," I say handing him the rag, backing up in disgust. Dear hubs that he is, didn't complain, but got right to it. It is then that I notice, there are not just worms on the counter, but they are on the pantry doors and, oh my stinkin' nerves, are even in my pantry!

This might explain the moth problem we had a few months ago. I think I narrowed it down to contaminated red pepper flakes. I was so freaked out then, that I bought plastic, air tight containers that could house all of my flours, rices and grains. The dual benefit of these containers (besides keeping out bugs) was they made my pantry look super organzied. There is nothing better than a super organized pantry. (Did I mention i'm an organization freak too?!)

So, back to yesterday morning, Bix saw I was coming close to a meltdown and decided it might be smart to leave for work and let me handle the worms. And handle them I did. I first cloroxed (yes, bleached) my counter to get rid of any moth/worm eggies. Then I proceeded to empty out my entire pantry onto the counter. This actually took me the better part of the day, because the little man wanted me to hold him and not clean the pantry out. When I reasoned with him and explained that I didn't want to eat worms for dinner, he let me get down to cloroxing (yes, bleaching) the pantry, removing the shelves and examining every nook and cranny for worms/moths. And oh did I find worms. Just when I thought I had gotten rid (read, killed) every last worm, another one would appear. And the cherry on top of this little tirade? Opening a can of salt and vinegar almonds and having a moth fly into my face. Salt and vinegar almonds...are you kidding me? What would a moth even want with salt and vinegar almonds? That made me mad. So mad that I started tossing food. Out went the almonds...and the honey/flax cluster cereal...and pretty much anything that was opened and not in an air tight container. Did you know moths liked spices? Neither did I...that is, until I opened a container of chile powder and found webs.

So there you have it....I am a bug killer and a food waster.

Although, can you blame me?

No comments: