Monday, September 21, 2009

Hi My Name is Nicci and I'm a Semi-Green Girl.

I do so want to be green. I want to be the envy of the hipsters, the crunchy moms, and whole foods shoppers everywhere. It's just...so expensive/ exhausting/ HARD! I try though, and I succeed sometimes. Hence my semi-greeness.


It's really easy at work because I work for a family of green people. I am a nanny for a 1 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. There I drive their Prius, eat their ALL-organic foods, take the little girl to her hippie school (Waldorf) dressed in hippie clothes, recycle, conserve electricity, use cloth diapers, clean with green and environmentally safe cleaners, and watch NO tv. At home I do many of these things too, but don't always buy organic since I live in a small town with either a WalMart or tiny grocery store to shop in with hardly any organic products. But I try to go to Whole Foods when I can and stock up! I do watch tv...well tv on dvd when at home, and I don't personally drive a hybrid car. I am a vegetarian who recycles though! I buy local produce at our town farmer's market, and I've recently switched to cloth napkins and paper towels (mostly...some messes require the paper!). We've switched all our bulbs as they burned out to the energy saving ones, and only use the A/C at home when absolutely necessary... I recycle any plastic bags I do get from the store, but try to always take my reusable totes when grocery shopping. I will admit though that I am addicted to candy, sugary things that are bad for me, and even eat things containing high fructose corn syrup. I eat dairy and not always organic dairy. I have more clothes and shoes than I can wear, and none are made of organic materials (that I know of). I'm not crafty in the least bit and I eat fast food once in a while!


I'm horrible!


Alright, I'm probably just normal, but this blog will chronicle my attempts to be greener. Read often and tell your friends!

No comments: